Press enter to see results or esc to cancel.

Singapore’s Dependant Pass (DP) Guide

Singapore’s dependent pass (DP) is available to the spouse and unmarried children of certain work pass holders. So if you’re moving to Singapore for work and would like to bring your family with you, then you’re in luck. Simply ask your employer to apply for a DP for your family members. 

While the application process for the DP is nothing to worry about and the Singapore Ministry of Manpower (MOM) provides comprehensive information, this Pacific Prime article seeks to simplify the process further by providing all the need-to-know information in one place. 

Further reading: Want to live in Singapore on a long term visit pass (LTVP) instead? Or maybe you’ve got funds to invest in the country? Pacific Prime has in-depth articles on those topics and more. 

What Is A Dependent Pass (DP) In Singapore?

A Dependent Pass (DP) in Singapore allows spouses and unmarried children below the age of 21 (including legally adopted children) of certain Employment Pass, S Pass, Overseas Network Pass, and Expertise Pass holders (i.e. the main applicant) to live in Singapore. 

For the main applicant, there are also other eligibility criteria. The applicant has to be sponsored by an established Singapore company, which is usually their employer, and earn a fixed minimum salary of SGD $6,000 per month

Spectacular SG Downtown Skyline

The DP’s validity will be for the same duration (usually up to two years) as the main applicant’s work pass, and DP holders are free to enter, live, and leave Singapore without having to apply for any additional Singapore visas. 

Here are some other key facts about the DP in Singapore:

  • DP holders must be applied for by an employer or appointed employment agent.
  • DP holders are renewable as long as the main applicant’s work pass is renewed, and employers can start applying to renew it up to 6 months before the validity is over.
  • DP holders aren’t subject to any foreign worker levy or quotas. 
  • DP holders can apply for Permanent Residence (PR) if the main applicant can apply.

Working As A Dependent Pass (DP) Holder In Singapore

Dependent Pass (DP) holders can work in Singapore as long as they obtain an Employment Pass, S Pass, or a Work Permit. If they want to start a business in the city-state, they can apply for a Letter of Consent to do so. For any volunteer work that isn’t paid, no work pass or permission is needed. 

What Documents Are Required To Apply For A Dependent Pass (DP) In Singapore?

As a Dependent Pass (DP) must be applied for by the employer or appointed employment agent, the applicant only has to provide all the required documents including, but not limited to, a passport and documents to prove a relationship to the main applicant. 

Generally speaking, applications for DP in Singapore are straightforward as long as the eligibility criteria are met and all the required documents are submitted. With that said, applications may also be rejected if the applicant has a criminal record. 

Bridge Gathering In Singapore

Here is the full list of documents to apply for a DP in Singapore:

  • Spouse
  • Copy of passport.
  • Copy of marriage certificate 
  • Unmarried children below the age of 21
    • Copy of passport*
    • Copy of the official birth certificate stating the parent’s names OR copy of the adoption order/other relevant documents
    • Verification of Vaccination Requirement document issued by the Health Promotion Board (HPB) only in the case of:
      • Foreign-born children below the age of 12 who are applying for a new DP (including those whose DP has expired or been canceled for more than 30 days)

*If the child shares a passport with their parents, a copy of the parent’s passport must also be submitted.

Dependent Pass (DP) For A Newborn In Singapore 

What if you had a baby in Singapore, you may be wondering. If your baby isn’t a Singapore citizen, your baby will also need to get a Dependent Pass (DP). From registering the birth to getting a passport from your embassy, there are a few additional steps when it comes to gathering the documents.

Outram Park MRT, Singapore: Key Location

Here’s a step-by-step guide on what you need to do:

  1. Register the birth: After your baby is born, you’ll need to register their birth with the Immigration & Checkpoints Authority (ICA) within 14 days. You will then get the child’s birth certificate and an ICA advisory note, informing you that your newborn has been granted a Special Pass and can stay in Singapore for 42 days from the date of birth.
  2. Get a passport for your child: Before the 42 days are up, you’ll also need to get a passport for your child. The process will be different depending on your country of nationality, so you’re advised to contact your country’s embassy or consulate. It’s best to do this sooner rather than later.
  3. Ask your employer to apply for a DP for your child: Another thing to do before the 42 days are up is to ask your employer to apply for a DP for your child. Note that any delay beyond 42 days from your child’s birth is regarded as an offense under Singapore’s Immigration Act. 

Don’t worry if there are delays in getting the baby’s passport. As long as you’ve applied for the passport, you can show proof of passport application in order to extend your baby’s Special Pass. This can be a letter from your embassy confirming that you have applied for a passport for your baby. 

Frequently Asked Questions

Who can apply for a Dependent Pass (DP) in Singapore?

Spouses and unmarried children (including legally adopted children) below the age of 21 of either an Employment Pass, S Pass, Overseas Networks Pass, or Expertise Pass holder are eligible to apply for a Dependent Pass (DP) in Singapore. 

Is it possible for a Dependent Pass (DP) application to be rejected in Singapore?

If all eligibility criteria are met, it’s highly unlikely that a Dependent Pass (DP) application will be rejected in Singapore. The only time a DP application may be rejected is if the required documents aren’t submitted or if the applicant has a criminal record. 

How long is a Dependent Pass (DP) holder able to remain in Singapore?

A Dependent Pass (DP) holder can stay as long as the main applicant’s (i.e. the Employment Pass, S Pass, Overseas Networks Pass, or Expertise Pass holder) work pass. The duration is typically set at two years, but renewal is possible. 

Can a Dependent Pass (DP) holder apply for Permanent Residence (PR) in Singapore?

A Dependent Pass (DP) holder can apply for Permanent Residence (PR) in Singapore if the main applicant (i.e. the Employment Pass, S Pass, Overseas Networks Pass, or Expertise Pass holder) can apply. Approval for the main applicant also means approval for the DP holder. 


Singapore’s Dependent Pass (DP)  is certainly handy if you’re moving to Singapore for work and want to bring your spouse or children with you. After all, no one wants to leave their family behind when relocating to another country. 

But don’t forget to consider health insurance. Although your employer may provide you and your dependents employer-sponsored health insurance, it’s worth securing your own plan for a number of reasons. 

You may find your employer-sponsored health plan to be insufficient or you may prefer to have individual coverage in case you switch jobs or relocate. In these cases, it’s worth looking into a top-up or individual health insurance plan

Fortunately, you don’t have to look far. Pacific Prime can help. We have over 20 years of experience guiding expats like yourself to the right plan for their needs and budget, and provide plenty of support and assistance throughout your insurance journey. 

Contact us today!

Senior Content Creator at Pacific Prime
Suphanida is a Senior Content Creator at Pacific Prime, an award-winning global health insurance and employee benefits specialist.

With over 5 years of experience in the field, Suphanida spends the majority of her day synthesizing complex pieces of insurance-related information and translating this into easy-to-understand, engaging, and effective content across a variety of media such as articles, infographics, whitepapers, videos, and more.

Suphanida is also responsible for planning and publishing three whitepapers released annually by Pacific Prime: The State of Health Insurance Report, The Cost of Health Insurance Report, and The Global Employee Benefits Trends Report. Additionally, she handles the LinkedIn profiles of Pacific Prime’s Founder and CEO, as well as Global HR Lead.

Suphanida’s strengths lie in her strong research and analytical skills, which she has gained from her BA in Politics from the University of Warwick and Erasmus Mundus Joint MA in Journalism from Aarhus University and City, University of London.

Being of Thai-Indian origin and having lived, studied, and worked in Thailand, the UK, and Denmark, Suphanida also has a unique, multicultural perspective that helps her understand the struggles of expats and globetrotters.

Outside of work, she enjoys traveling to new places and immersing herself in different cultures.
Suphanida Thakral