7 Common foods that help to fight Alzheimer’s
With all the modern medical advancements in cures for diseases, one disease which still remains cure-less is Alzheimer’s. A degenerative illness that severely affects more than 5 million people worldwide. Some modern drugs can provide a modicum of relief for people suffering from mild memory loss; however scientists need a better understanding of the disease, and a fresh strategy for treating it. The best that we can do today is simply try to prevent Alzheimer’s, and the weapons used to prevent the oncoming of such a crippling disease are found in everyday foods. So what foods exactly are used to ward off Alzheimer’s? Here’s a quick list of the seven, most common, most accessible foods that can be used to prevent Alzheimer’s. Alzheimer’s disease is a crippling neurodegenerative disease that results in loss of brain function. Early symptoms are forgetfulness and impaired awareness of the events of daily life. The disease is more common the older you are and affects on average about 3.1% of Americans between 70-79 years. Certain vitamins and minerals are particularly effective at preventing possible development of Alzheimer’s. This is because these vitamins and minerals ensure a healthy heart and brain, allowing for a naturally stronger defence system which can help to ward off Alzheimer’s.
1. Eggs: The first on our list, and one of the best foods that can help prevent Alzheimer’s is the common, everyday big breakfast ingredient the egg. Eggs provide good dietary source of choline, a major component of lecithin, the yellow fatty substance found in the egg’s yolk. This helps to repair damaged brain tissue. In addition to this they also provide good sources of iron, vitamin B12, other major vitamin B groups such as B2, great source of protein, and on top of all this, is easily digested into the system so your body can start benefiting from these ingested minerals.
2. White Germ and whole grain breads: The second item on our list is white germ and whole grain breads, this common food has many forms of being eaten. Plain, toasted, fried, and even two together with fillings on the inside. These breads are high in Lecithin and Choline, like eggs. But also are full of other healthy components which include carbohydrates, vitamin E, many B vitamins, and numerous minerals and anti oxidants which help to prolong the onset of possible Alzheimer’s
3. Soy Beans and Soy Products: Soy products are another great source of choline along with eggs and white germ and grain breads. They also are rich in protein, carbohydrates, calcium and fiber. Soy is also a good source of folic acid; also know as, folate acid. Soy is also known to lower blood levels of homocysteine. Soy products basically can break up deadly amyloid protein that forms fibrous deposits in the brains of potential Alzheimer’s patients.
4. Blueberries: Blueberries, apart from being blue and extraordinarily tasty, Blueberries are one of the best foods, that when consumed help at preventing the onset of Alzheimer’s. This is due to their high concentration of vitamin C in comparison to other vitamin C rich foods like oranges, guava, and kiwi fruit. This helps to ensure a healthy brain which in turn can slow the development of Alzheimer’s. Blueberries also contain a lot of anti-oxidants which can help fight the onset of the ageing process as well, such as wrinkles appearing and prolonged memory.
5. Orange Colored Fruits and Vegetables: Orange colored fruits and vegetables, such as oranges, carrots and pumpkins, in comparison contain a lot more antioxidants, than other colored fruits and vegetables. These antioxidants are primarily vitamins A, C, and E. Scientists believe that the best way to sustaining a healthy brain to fight off Alzheimer’s disease is to have a healthy heart, pumping lots of blood to the brain. Vitamin A can help contribute to a healthy heart by immensely reducing the risk of heart disease. The vitamin C in the orange fruit and vegetables helps to fight off the build up of cholesterol, which can allow more flow of blood to the head, resulting in higher brain hydration.
6. Fish: The second last on the list and also one of the stronger foods which help to fight off the onset of Alzheimer’s disease. The more fish or omega 3 enriched eggs you eat, the better chance you have to avoid Alzheimer’s disease years down the road. This is because Alzheimer’s patients are found to have lower blood levels of docosahexaenoic acid, aka DHA, than people with normal cognitive functioning. DHA is an Omega 3 fatty acid that is already known to reduce heart disease, depression and attention deficit disorder; however it has recently been discovered to help fight off Alzheimer’s disease as well. The best sorts of fish to eat are particularly salmon and tuna, as these fish are the most Omega 3 fat packed.
7. Turmeric: The last on our list is probably by far also the best culinary delight at preventing the development of Alzheimer’s disease. Turmeric. Turmeric for those who do not know it, is the yellow substance in curry powder that gives curry powder its unique flavor. Epidemiologists have noted that cultures consuming large amounts of turmeric have extremely low incidence of Alzheimer’s in their senior population. India, for example, whose population uses turmeric as both a herbal medicine and a cooking ingredient, has less than one quarter of cases in that of the U.S, despite having well over 3 times the population of the U.S, and the lack of quality of life in India compared to the U.S. Turmeric comes from the Curcuma Longa plant which can be found in many parts of South Asian countries.
There you have it, 7 common foods that can be used to battle and prevent the on set the Alzheimer’s disease.
- Transgender Health Care and Insurance - March 27, 2015
- Top 6 Hiking Trails in Hong Kong - November 27, 2014
- 10 Reasons Why Fall is the Best Season of Them All - October 27, 2014