Health insurance in Tonga
If you’re thinking about traveling to or living in Tonga, you’ll want to secure the right health insurance plan to help cover any medical costs that may occur. Pacific Prime can help you find the ideal plan for your requirements and budget. Click below to receive a free quote or keep reading to learn more about health insurance in Tonga.
Healthcare in Tonga
When visiting Tonga, the worst problem most travelers experience is a hangover or upset stomach. The region does not have any rabies, malaria, or crocodiles. In fact, the main danger comes from dengue fever, which is caused by mosquito bites. If you have a medical emergency or serious health problem, visit the closest public hospital or pharmacy as soon as possible.
Tonga health-related travel advice
- Recommended vaccinations for Tonga include hepatitis A, hepatitis B, and typhoid fever, along with a current influenza shot.
- Aside from the population centers, the medical services and facilities around Tonga are quite basic.
- While specialized services can be limited, there are pharmacies, dentists, and private general practitioners in Tonga.
- Stay away from tap water that hasn’t been filtered, boiled, or chemically disinfected. Likewise, it’s best to avoid ice unless you made it yourself using bottled water.
- Apply sunscreen and stay hydrated to prevent heat exhaustion.
Tonga health insurance options
Make sure you have a comprehensive health insurance policy before traveling to the region. Additionally, check whether you are covered for any activities you might want to join such as diving, surfing, and snorkeling.
Your health insurance policy should also cover emergency evacuation, which enables you to be evacuated to the closet hospital that can best treat you.
It’s worth noting that, while hospitals in Tonga will accept direct payment from most major international insurers, other health-related costs might have to be paid upfront in cash.
How to find the best private health insurance in Tonga
If you are a visitor or expatriate who is looking for peace of mind knowing that medical costs will be covered in the event of an accident or illness while traveling to Tonga, purchasing comprehensive travel insurance or expat medical insurance plan is the optimal solution for you.