All medical insurance policies contain exclusions and these will vary from insurer to insurer. It is therefore important to check with the insurance representative to ensure there are no misunderstandings regarding cover.
The most important exclusions however are pre-existing chronic conditions which the client has suffered or had treatment for prior to taking out the policy.
Below is a list of treatments which most commonly appear in the exclusion section in the medical insurance foreign policy conditions and clients will not be covered for unless previously agreed by the insurance company.
- Conditions developed due to misuse of drugs or alcohol
- Experimental or unproven Care
- Fertility treatment or testing
- Plastic and cosmetic surgery
- Treatment of psychological conditions
- Termination of pregnancy unless medically prescribed
- AIDS or HIV related diseases.
- Contraception, including sterilization
- Epidemics that are under the direction of the authorities
- Obesity treatments
- Sexual dysfunction
- Injuries inflicted whilst committing a terrorist act